R and I went to a cooking demo with Chef Jay Murray from Grill 23 at Yale Appliance a few weeks ago. It was fabulous; he grilled 3 different cuts of beef and a kurobuta pork chop, that was out of this world good. The rub on the pork was so flavorful. I’ve used it twice for ribeye steaks.
½ cup coarse sea salt
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp coriander seed, ground
½ tsp celery seed
¼ tsp cumin seed, ground
5 allspice berries, ground
1 pod star anise, ground
¼ lb unsalted butter
1. combine thoroughly in food processor
2. cover meat with a generous layer and allow to marinate 2 hrs
3. half-heartedly remove rub and reserve 2 Tbsps.
4. spray meat with cooking spray and grill
5. melt butter with reserved rub over medium heat; use this for basting